Sunday 27 January 2008

#42

A couple of people lately have expressed concern that I am eating raw leeks in my salads. Well might I point-out that after doing this for a couple of years that I am still very much alive and well. And the reasons for me doing so are well founded and logical: it is because spring-onions at this time of year (at least in my local supermarket) are not from anywhere local, not even from the European continent let alone from the UK, and believe it or not leeks taste [almost] exactly like spring onions, and I seem to be able to easily buy leeks grown in the UK at the moment. So if you want to save food miles why not give it a go? Obviously you probably don't want a whole leek (unless they are baby leeks) so just slice-up half of one or something. In actual fact leeks have a much more consistent strength than spring onions, and I'm beginning to favor them no mater what time of year as long as they are local-ish.

2 comments:

Barkfoot said...

I might try Leeks in my salad.
I've been nabbing the occasional leaf off some of the garlic plants that are still growing out in the garden even throughout our mild winter. Have you tried any Dandelion leaves? They're an all year round treat, especially if you blanch them by putting a flower pot over the plant for a week or two until the leaves have gone yellowish.

at Twisterton Library said...

Oh yeah, thanks fo the reminder: I must try Dandilion leaves, my cousin swears by them, she even claims they have some kind of pepping-up extra energy giving abilities. Blanching sounds like an interesting idea.